Thursday, July 26, 2007

ESPN's "Who's Now?"

Has anyone else seen those stupid ESPN "Who's Now" pieces on Sportscenter lately? They are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. This is how it's set up:

They start all cool with a montage of clips and announcements, then they go into some gangster hip hop rap ("Rap is Crap!" I'll miss ya Curt Hennig...). It's so overdone and ridiculous.

The premise is that ESPN has some tournament where "YOU, THE FANS", as Stuart Scott puts it, votes for who you think is the most "now". Nevermind the fact that that doesn't even make sense, grammatically and logically, the worst is that they have these three guests in the studio with Stuart Scott, and they all choose who they think is most "now". Usually, they bring in some random former player, some random analyist, and some celebrity that obviously has no idea on what the fuck they're talking about. I mean, what the hell does Jessica Biel know about Tony Parker and Shaq? What business does she have picking who she thinks is more "now"? I mean, she obviously has no idea what she's talking about. I mean, it's Mary Tyler Moore at WrestleMania 6 bad*. Does ESPN think us, the sports fans, don't realize this?

Then it gets more annoying. EVERY time the choices are made, there's always this huge argument where Stuart Scott yells really loudly, as if he's yelling over someone, and it just looks SO FAKE. I mean, the whole damn thing looks so scripted. Like, the yelling, the choices, and arguments. It's like scripted PTI. It's a farce and it doesn't even know it.

I mean first of all, who cares? Who gives a shit about who's more "now"? 10% of the vote comes from the panelists, and 90% comes from the fans at ESPN.com. What the hell do they think, that people are going to vote on who's more "now"? It's a freakin' popularity contest. The fans are going to pick who they like. Not who's more "now". Plus, who gives a shit? It's just more lame filler.

Just one of the MANY things that are just amazingly wrong with Sportscenter.




*At WrestleMania 6, just before Rhythm and Blues (Honky Tonk Man and Greg Valentine) were going to have a in-show concert (WE NEED A HUNKA HUNKA HONKY LOVEEE), Sean Mooney, dumbass extraordinaire, interviewed Mary Tyler Moore. He asked her about the team, and she responded in the must clueless way possible. She obviously was uncomfortable, had no idea what Sean was talking about, and just want Sean to fuck off and go away (Wouldn't be the first time...).

3 comments:

Joshua said...

I pretty much agree with on the "Who's Now" now thing. I could only really stand to watch once or twice. I thought it was just to damn stupid to even try and keep up with after that. And now whenever I'm watching "Sportscenter" and they start talking about this shit I just go ahead and change the channel. I'll be glad when it ends!

PYLW said...

pogo- I agree man. I hate how ESPN is trying to shove that shit down our throats. Stuart Scott is just horrible to watch. He's the only thing I hate on Stump The Schwab.

PYLW said...

And when you're not looking at his eyes you're listening to his verbal diarrhea. Ick...